- Liberty’s drum parts have been copied on Broadway and in theaters all around the country
- Known as “The songwriter’s drummer”
- Billy Joel’s drummer for 30 years; 150 million+ records sold
- Liberty writes, teaches & produces music
- Drummer and band member of The Slim Kings band
- Honorary Board member of Little Kids Rock
- Liberty and the Billy Joel band were inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2014
- Liberty was honored by the Assembly and Senate in the capitol of New York for his accomplishments and contributions as an Italian American, along with actor Tony Danza and NY Governor Andrew Cuomo
- Follow Liberty and The Slim Kings on Facebook
DeVitto’s life was changed forever on February 9, 1964, the night he saw The Beatles on TV. The camera showed girls screaming and crying at the band’s performance, and the young DeVitto thought, “What a great way to meet girls!” In November of 1968, Liberty was on the road with Detroit rocker Mitch Ryder banging out Mitch’s hits “Jenny Take A Ride,” “Devil With A Blue Dress On,” and “Sock It To Me Baby.” Right after Mitch Ryder, Liberty got a gig with Long Island alumni Richie Supa, and had his first recording experience. The album Supa’s Jamboree was recorded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1969/1970, and was produced by Buddy Buie of Classics IV and Atlanta Rhythm Section fame.
Liberty was driving Supa’s equipment van when it hit some black ice and flipped. Liberty sustained serious injures, and for a year he was unable to play the drums. To ease back in to playing, he took a steady gig at a catering hall on Long Island. During this period the group Topper was formed, featuring Liberty on drums, Doug Stegmeyer on bass, Russell Javors on guitar and vocals, and Howie Emerson on guitar. With the addition of sax player Richie Cannata and the replacement of Emerson with David Brown in 1978, Topper became Billy Joel’s band.
Liberty resides in Brooklyn, New York and loves what he was born to do—play drums. Liberty’s years on tour and experiences with numerous artists brings insight to The Sessions along with his gift of communications skills and motivational speaking.